The Sino-Vietnamese War of 1979

Got something to say about the past? Say it here!
caltrek

The Sino-Vietnamese War of 1979

Post by caltrek »

I have to admit, I had actually totally forgotten about the incident described in this article. Perhaps it was in part that U.S. media may have largely ignored this “war.” This bit of history does demonstrate that Vietnam is far from a slam dunk as an ally of China in any dispute between China and the “West.” Of course, that does not mean that it can easily be enrolled as an ally of the “West” in such a dispute.

In 1979, it was more a matter of Vietnam being an ally of what was then the Soviet Union.

SINO-VIETNAMESE WAR, 1979
by James H. Willbanks
May 19, 2023

Introduction:
(HistoryNet) In the summer of 1978, Vietnam joined the Soviet-dominated Council for Mutual Economic Assistance (COMECON) and signed a Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation with the Soviet Union. These events further angered the Chinese, who claimed that the new treaty was a military alliance and part of the Soviet global strategy to marginalize China’s influence. At the root of the conflict between China and Vietnam was China’s concern about Vietnam’s ambitions in Southeast Asia and its growing reliance on the Soviet Union.

On January 7, 1979, the Vietnamese took possession of all government buildings in Phnom Penh and installed a new government (in Cambodia) under Heng Samrin.

On February 15, 1979, Chinese paramount leader Deng Xiaoping publicly announced China’s intention to strike back at the Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia. At dawn on the morning of February 17, the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) launched a “punitive” expedition against Vietnam, attacking at numerous points along the 480-mile Sino-Vietnamese border after a massive artillery and rocket barrage.

The day after the Chinese captured Lang Son, Beijing declared that the gate to Hanoi was open; that the Vietnamese had been sufficiently chastised; and announced that it was withdrawing its forces. By March 16, all Chinese forces had crossed the border back into China, blowing bridges and railroads and generally laying waste to the Vietnamese countryside along the way.

Read more here: https://www.historynet.com/sino-vietnamese-war-19

(Counterpunch) Ironically, it was China that learned it was not prepared for combined arms warfare and Vietnam’s battlefield experience against the French and the United States over a twenty-five-year period created serious tactical problems for the Chinese invaders.
Source: https://www.counterpunch.org/2023/05/1 ... elations/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Powers

Re: The Sino-Vietnamese War of 1979

Post by Powers »

caltrek wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:28 pm I have to admit, I had actually totally forgotten about the incident described in this article. Perhaps it was in part that U.S. media may have largely ignored this “war.” This bit of history does demonstrate that Vietnam is far from a slam dunk as an ally of China in any dispute between China and the “West.” Of course, that does not mean that it can easily be enrolled as an ally of the “West” in such a dispute.
The 3rd World War will be between Pro-US and Anti-US.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Powers wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:56 pm
caltrek wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:28 pm I have to admit, I had actually totally forgotten about the incident described in this article. Perhaps it was in part that U.S. media may have largely ignored this “war.” This bit of history does demonstrate that Vietnam is far from a slam dunk as an ally of China in any dispute between China and the “West.” Of course, that does not mean that it can easily be enrolled as an ally of the “West” in such a dispute.
Well, I think that underlines the importance of diplomacy not just to contain China, but also to improve relations with China so that it does not come to that. A lot depends on the question of what does China want?

Taiwan and disputes in the South China Sea may be more about gaining some diplomatic leverage. The U.S. and the West should be cognizant of legitimate Chinese interests and willing to negotiate concerning those interests in order to reduce tensions. There are a lot of reasons to promote cooperation such as dealing with global warming, preparedness regarding possible future outbreaks of Covid19 type infections, etc. Avoidance of World War III should be on the top of that list.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Powers

Post by Powers »

caltrek wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:17 pm
Powers wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:56 pm The 3rd World War will be between Pro-US and Anti-US.
Well, I think that underlines the importance of diplomacy not just to contain China, but also to improve relations with China so that it does not come to that. A lot depends on the question of what does China want?

Taiwan and disputes in the South China Sea may be more about gaining some diplomatic leverage. The U.S. and the West should be cognizant of legitimate Chinese interests and willing to negotiate concerning those interests in order to reduce tensions. There are a lot of reasons to promote cooperation such as dealing with global warming, preparedness regarding possible future outbreaks of Covid19 type infections, etc. Avoidance of World War III should be on the top of that list.
As long as the error with the axis is not made again...
erowind

Post by erowind »

caltrek wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:17 pm
Powers wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:56 pm

A good start to improve relations would be pulling out of Taiwan and brokering a real peace agreement with the DPRK. China could reciprocate by not genociding Uighurs and giving Tibet more autonomy such as a devolved parliament with taxation and legislative powers within Tibet. This is if both sides genuinely wanted peace and to clear the air. I don't think either side does though.