What if: Every Job paid exactly $30/hour

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
Yuli Ban

Re: What if: Every Job paid exactly $30/hour

Post by Yuli Ban »

If $30 an hour was guaranteed, I'd keep doing a fairly easy overnight job. For me, at least, I'm waiting for the advancement of AI to see great things; I've had largely low expectations for my own life outside writing, so I'm not one of those übermensch who'd become suicidal over the loss of prestige afforded by being rewarded for muscle-tearing hard work or social/economic power games.

Fixed incomes across all jobs is a terrible idea; it's more the kind of idea that a centrist or right wing kid LARPing as a communist would think "communism" is like (or a baby-red who just discovered leftism exists thinking they've solved income inequality right after finishing their 8th grade ELA homework).
But to just imagine for a moment if that was a thing, I feel that work would be heavily reformatted across all of society— from a pure payment standpoint, people would be more incentivized to do "less" nice jobs like being a fry cook.
Now, to be fair, I think a lot of fast food jobs really do need to have their wages doubled. The days when being a burger flipper was pretty much all you did at McDonalds have been over for years; the "laid back" feel of a summer job at one of these places was replaced by an absurdly overdemanding and technical job that simply bestows the title of "crew member" on you, where you are all but expected to assist in the general upkeep of the entire establishment from cooking to cleaning and inventory and so on, and yet you're still considered "just" a burger flipper by society, which is why no one takes these jobs seriously. If you really want to pay a person minimum wage to do a fast food job, give them a minimum wage job... like actually just flipping burgers and nothing else. A "minimum wage job" is something so easy, a monkey could do it. Now that's just one arbitrary example; I could think of others like being a cashier or a car wash attendant. But considering automation is often seen as coming for the burger flippers and knowing how AI is currently solving a lot of visual tasks at the moment, that's been on the brain lately.
Fun fact, something between $250 and $30 ought to be the minimum wage if wages followed historical growth and inflation—
https://theintercept.com/2021/03/05/min ... -raise-15/
THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC relief bill passed by the House of Representatives this week would raise the federal minimum wage in steps until it reached $15 an hour in 2025. But an increase in the minimum wage has been removed from the Senate’s legislation. At least for now, it is stuck at $7.25.

This is bad enough in itself, but even worse is that almost no Americans understand how low we’ve allowed our aspirations to become. Our country’s productivity gains in recent decades should have translated into a minimum wage today of $24 an hour — and by 2025, it should be almost $30.

This may sound preposterous. But in fact, U.S. society was once on a path to this destination. We simply chose to step off that path.
However, that's assuming general wage growth, not that now everyone earns that much; technically, much higher wage jobs would still exist. That would certainly be a high-capitalist ideal, where even a "low/minimum" wage job still allowed the wealth opportunity of what is currently only really possible from jobs like warehouse and medical work.
You'd certainly need true passion to do jobs we've decided are worth more than that if there's now flat pay for everyone. That or just pure necessity.
And on some level, I think people would adapt to it quickly. We've adapted to our current reality, which certainly isn't ideal unless you force yourself to see it that way. It's only a matter of economic illiteracy leading to an eventual breakdown that differs (wait, which situation are we talking about again?)
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
erowind

Re: What if: Every Job paid exactly $30/hour

Post by erowind »

Capitalist theory is also important in this discussion. Full free market proponents often argue that capitalism should create conditions where the price of goods falls on average while at the same time the quality of goods should rise on average due to competitive forces between capitalists to meet demand. This humanistic ideal is a core of many economists and political philosophers of yesteryear. When market conditions aren't matching this ideal something is extremely wrong.

Modern economists who "appeal to the market" or otherwise handwave this with corporate loyalties and pleasantries aren't even following the political philosophy of capitalist theory. Oligarchies and monopolies shouldn't really exist in free market economies yet the more the market is left unregulated the more they arise. Which is all to say, if 30$ an hour isn't desirable politically than cheap quality goods that meet all human demand should be and this condition should arise "naturally" in the economy if the economic model works. At some point the script got rigged by the monarchists, robber barons and now modern oligarchs into making us think that "monetary demand" is king when no liberal of the past would have ever argued for such a thing and the reason they didn't was because human demand was supposed to lead markets.