Flying cars, eVTOL and jet pack news and discussion thread

weatheriscool

Re: Flying cars and jet pack news and discussion thread

Post by weatheriscool »

Sikorsky's new tilt-wing hybrid VTOL aircraft promises 575-mile range
By David Szondy
February 28, 2024
https://newatlas.com/aircraft/sikorsky- ... tilt-wing/
Sikorsky is developing a hybrid-electric vertical takeoff and landing (HEX/VTOL) tilt-wing demonstrator, one of a new family of hybrid rotorcraft that will also offer pilot-optional autonomous flight.

There are so many companies building unconventional rotorcraft, many of which are electric or hybrid electric, that one more added to the growing list wouldn't warrant much attention. However, when the newest one is a major player in the aerospace world like Sikorsky, it's time to sit up and take notice.

The February 27 announcement isn't heavy on details, but does present a lot of insight into what's to come in the field of rotorcraft – especially from the mainstream competitors.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Will This The Electric VTOL Fullfil the Dream of the Flying Car?

March 10, 2024 by Brian Wang
The Doroni H1-X is a design for new two-passenger eVTOL that sets new standard for efficiency, sustainability, and versatility in air mobility. A full-scale system will have test flights by the end of this year, 2024.

Doroni has $3.8 million in funding. The Doroni H1-X is an electric flying car that has an estimated cost between $300,000 and $400,000.

Key Specifications of the H1X:
– Range: Up to 60 miles, enabling substantial urban and semi-urban commutes.
– Flight Time: 40 minutes of operational flight time on a single charge.
– Charging: Rapid recharge capabilities, achieving full charge in about 20 minutes.
– Takeoff Weight: A total takeoff weight of 1850 pounds, including a 500-pound payload capacity.
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2024/03/w ... g-car.html
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Rust to riches? Ohio city’s fortunes set to rise with flying taxi startup
Fri 29 Mar 2024 11.00 GMT

For a decade, Dayton in south-west Ohio has fought to shed its rust belt past. New apartment blocks, hotels and breweries have cut into a landscape dominated by derelict warehouses and general industrial decline. But today, that transformation is shifting gears and taking to the skies.

A town that 120 years ago produced the pioneers of human flight the Wright brothers is set to build hundreds of futuristic flying taxis each year.

It’s here in Dayton – rather than in its home state of California – that Joby Aviation is planning to manufacture its electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft.

Joby’s Didier Papadopoulos cites a couple of reasons for the company’s plans to employ up to 2,000 people at a $500m facility north of Dayton scheduled to open next year.

For one, it “has a tremendous history in aviation – it’s the birthplace of flight”, Papadopoulos said recently. Also, he remarked, “Ohio is home to a talented and skilled manufacturing workforce, and we expect to hire and train a mixture of both local and national applicants.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ation-ohio
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

As far as I am concern the closes thing to a flying car we will have is a mini-jet or rotor personal plane with the ability to drive on the street. We will never have anti-gravity as in the movies and probably will never have superconductivity.

I think some people may have such minis that they will be able to drive on the street one day soon but will probably need to go to a airport or some other set up to take off to become airborne. Driverless tech may open this door for this.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

The very first Jet Suit Grand Prix takes off in Dubai
By Mike Hanlon
April 03, 2024
https://newatlas.com/aircraft/video-fir ... rix-dubai/
A new sport kicked away this month when the first ever jet-suit race was held in Dubai. Each racer wore an array of seven 130-hp jet engines (two on each arm and three in the backpack for a total 1,050 hp) that are controlled by hand-throttles. After that, the pilots use the three thrust vectors to gain lift, move forward and try to stay above ground level while negotiating the course … faster than anyone else.

They begin the race with 5 gallons of jet fuel in the backpack, and end it with very little – the total flight time possible is around 9 minutes, so long races are not on the agenda for a while yet.

For safety reasons, races are held over a water course, so the sport can be staged in the center of any city with a suitable water course and now that the ice has been broken, we expect there will be more and bigger events staged.
Powers

Post by Powers »

weatheriscool wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:09 pm The very first Jet Suit Grand Prix takes off in Dubai
By Mike Hanlon
April 03, 2024
A new sport kicked away this month when the first ever jet-suit race was held in Dubai. Each racer wore an array of seven 130-hp jet engines (two on each arm and three in the backpack for a total 1,050 hp) that are controlled by hand-throttles. After that, the pilots use the three thrust vectors to gain lift, move forward and try to stay above ground level while negotiating the course … faster than anyone else.

They begin the race with 5 gallons of jet fuel in the backpack, and end it with very little – the total flight time possible is around 9 minutes, so long races are not on the agenda for a while yet.

For safety reasons, races are held over a water course, so the sport can be staged in the center of any city with a suitable water course and now that the ice has been broken, we expect there will be more and bigger events staged.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Powers wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:33 pm
weatheriscool wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:09 pm The very first Jet Suit Grand Prix takes off in Dubai
By Mike Hanlon
April 03, 2024

Well, I want one! The fucking jet pack of the future is here. I wonder how far you could fly with one? 10 miles is all I'd need on one charge.
raklian

Post by raklian »

weatheriscool wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:49 pm
Well, I want one! The fucking jet pack of the future is here. I wonder how far you could fly with one? 10 miles is all I'd need on one charge.
I want to go further. I want to jetpack on Mars!
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

weatheriscool wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:00 pm As far as I am concern the closes thing to a flying car we will have is a mini-jet or rotor personal plane with the ability to drive on the street. We will never have anti-gravity as in the movies and probably will never have superconductivity.

I think some people may have such minis that they will be able to drive on the street one day soon but will probably need to go to a airport or some other set up to take off to become airborne. Driverless tech may open this door for this.

In my mind a flying car has to be able to 1. Drive on the highway and 2. fly. I won't be too strict considering the reality that you'll have to go to the airport to take off in the short term.