Society & Demographics News and Discussions

caltrek

Re: Society & Demographics News and Discussions

Post by caltrek »

^^^From the above Twitter feed:
(The Cygnet) Having lived abroad and in my birthplace of America, I've noticed that people are much heavier here than elsewhere. And obesity is certainly associated with a number of health problems
One thing I have noticed about my recent changes in life-style practices is the effect on my weight. Before those changes, I was considered overweight but not obese. I increased my level of exercise and also converted completely to a whole-foods/plant-based diet. This initiated a process of slowly losing weight which resulted in a significant weight loss over time. Yet, I was constantly snacking on whole-foods/plant-based foods. My problem, if it can be considered a problem, was eating enough food. So, I didn't have to exercise any will power in restricting my food intake. I merely had to be highly selective in what foods I did eat.

As pointed out in the cited Twitter feed, so much food on our shelves here in the United States is not beneficial. I would note that it is either highly processed or meat based. Dieticians are reaching the conclusion that these foods are highly detrimental to our health, and yet we continue eating them. In this regard, we compare unfavorably with so many other countries on the globe. Another manifestation of free-dumb combined with ignorance and force of habit. The ignorance is carefully cultivated by the food industry, which sews confusion and mis-direction in order to encourage the consumption of such junk food.

Such dietary considerations are not the only source of the problem. Certainly, the inefficiencies of our health care system are another major factor, but that is another story.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Powers

Post by Powers »

wjfox wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:43 pm
Interesting, I expected a plateau not a decline.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

This is great news! I want it to go down to around 2 billion. That way we're not killing our planet.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

This is what the republican parties policies have done to this country.
-Shit healthcare system
-Shit safetynet
-Shit standards

= people dying sooner. These bastards want the 18th century and they're getting it slowly but surely. how fucking disgraceful.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

weatheriscool wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:29 pm This is what the republican parties policies have done to this country.
-Shit healthcare system
-Shit safetynet
-Shit standards

= people dying sooner. These bastards want the 18th century and they're getting it slowly but surely. how fucking disgraceful.
You forgot to mention the fact that Americans are more obese than people in any other rich country, which of course drags down life expectancy. The obesity rate is behavioral and has nothing to do with our healthcare system.
https://topforeignstocks.com/2017/05/19 ... countries/
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

A country slightly bigger than Texas is projected to match the US's population by 2050 — and it shows how radically the world is going to change over the next three decades

Cork Gaines
Jul 11, 2023, 9:15 PM BST

– According to new estimates, Nigeria is expected to nearly double its population in the next 27 years.
– The rise is in contrast to a growing number of countries that will experience population declines.

Happy World Population Day.

The annual United Nations designation is not only a chance to recognize "the dreams of all 8 billion of us on our planet," as UN Secretary-General António Guterres put it in a blog post on Tuesday, it's also a chance to take stock at just how rapidly the world around us is shifting.

In just the past 12 months, the world's population topped 8 billion people for the first time and India overtook China as the most populous country in the world. But even as the global population hits new milestones, one of the buzziest discussions is around the "Great People Shortage," as writers here at Insider have termed it. According to projections, China, Japan, Germany, and even the US are facing the possibility of population decline by 2100 — which could come with some serious economic challenges.

In contrast to the countries facing down the possibility of an aging, shrinking populace, there are other parts of the world that are set to take the baton of population growth in the coming decades. Perhaps the most notable of these rapid-risers is Nigeria.

https://www.businessinsider.com/africa- ... &r=US&IR=T
Tadasuke

smaller but better human population idea

Post by Tadasuke »

Don't you think, that it would be much better for Earth's environment, those hypothetical humans and future generations alike, if there were 1/10 the number of people, but those alive would be just better in many areas? Like, imagine around 800 million people as healthy and productive as the healthiest and most productive people living on Earth today. 🤓

We wouldn't need 8 billion. We would do just fine with 800 million and everything would get done. Environmental impact would be approximately 10x lesser and tech/science/economic progress wouldn't be slower than it is with our very imperfect civilization. Everyone would lead better, more fulfilling and nicer lives. We could see most people living to be 100+ years old, without getting extremely senile. 🙂

I know it probably won't happen. But with 800-1000 million "elite" humans, we could be still advancing as species, but at a much smaller environmental impact, with greater happiness and better health. It would be a superior, more attractive, more refined, more well-mannered, kinder, tidier and pleasant planet. One can always mind wander, conceptualize and day dream, you see... 🙄
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

weatheriscool wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:41 pm This is great news! I want it to go down to around 2 billion. That way we're not killing our planet.
Not necessarily. Heavily depends on their lifestyles and how smart would those people be. With very bad and stupid lifestyles, 2 billion humans could easily have the same environmental impact as 20 billion smart, healthy and wise people.

Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

comparing populations with different lifestyles

Post by Tadasuke »

Compare hypothetical 20 billion humans who are all 100% vegan, never eat too much, ride only bicycles and electric trains, against 2 billion humans who are everyday beef eaters, always consume too much, all drive heavy gasoline pickup trucks and often fly airplanes with petroleum-based fuels (some Americans are like that).

Their lifestyles and decisions are so different, that their environmental impacts are on a different scale (when calculating per capita).