Technological Unemployment News & Discussions

erowind

Re: Technological Unemployment News & Discussions

Post by erowind »

Tadasuke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:40 pm One of the choices is to still think that the current situation is terrible and people are stupid and misguided, but choose to be a better person than some people are. Deriving pleasure from the satisfaction of doing the right thing or at least better than some others.
This is a good attitude. I do the same thing, I'm trying to be a better person both for my own wellbeing and in spite of others.

I mirror firestar too, it's become harder and harder overtime but just avoiding the bad places on the internet is the route to go. I only follow youtube channels I like that actively make me feel good. The algorithm has mostly learned to not throw me things I don't want to see after years of clicking, "don't recommend this channel." I don't use social media. I have a private teamspeak server with a bunch of folks my age who have been playing there since 2014. I like browsing wiby and neocities to explore websites with higher quality communities and design methodologies. I still melt into little forums like this wherever I can find them and play in virtual worlds through steam.

I think the key to happiness on the internet in the modern day is to avoid social media like the plague and spend time in niche communities or actually doing something like playing a game, looking at/creating art, watching anime, manga, etc. Don't let yourself get caught in the algorithmic dopamine loop that throws outrage at us at every turn. The internet is still magical in the right places. And it's important to spend time away from the internet too, playing retro games, going hiking, hanging out with people irl over tabletop games or something.

I get it though, it always makes me sad when I see some community online I love get ruined in some way or when I let myself get too caught up in the dopamine loop of endless content scrollilng.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke

world wide web distractions and how to avoid them

Post by Tadasuke »

erowind wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:05 am I think the key to happiness on the Internet in the modern day is to avoid social media like plague and spend time in niche communities or actually doing something like playing a game, looking at/creating art, watching anime, manga, etc. Don't let yourself get caught in the algorithmic dopamine loop that throws outrage at us at every turn. The internet is still magical in the right places.

I get it though, it always makes me sad when I see some community online I love get ruined in some way or when I let myself get too caught up in the dopamine loop of endless content scrolling.
Yeah, there are distractions literally everywhere and if we aren't cautious, we get so distracted, that we can neither be productive or focused nor happy, comfortable or fulfilled. We have to always keep in mind, that WWW is basically a distraction-generating machine (especially when you can "engage" with a content somehow, for example by commenting). And algorithms on WWW websites are often designed to keep us distracted. Even more and more in some cases (depending on how much prone to that a person is).

Focusing is not about saying yes, focusing is about saying no, to all that is better to not focus on at a moment or during an entire week. Many people don't understand this well enough. Rich people have people under them to filter what is unnecessary for them and would be a waste of their precious time. So they feel better, usually.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Half Of All Skills Will Be Outdated Within Two Years, Study Suggests

Oct 14, 2023,11:20am EDT

Executives believe nearly half of the skills that exist in today’s workforce won’t be relevant just two years from now, thanks to artificial intelligence. And a lot of that includes their own skills. This startling proclamation came out of a recent survey of 800 executives and 800 employees released by edX, an online education platform.

The executives estimate that nearly half (49%) of the skills that exist in their workforce today won’t be relevant in 2025. The same number, 47%, believe their workforces are unprepared for the future workplace. Identifying skills shortages is not a surprising result to come out of an educational platform provider, but the short timespan is an eye-opener.

Executives in the survey estimate that within the next five years, their organizations will eliminate over half (56%) of entry-level knowledge worker roles because of AI. What’s more, 79% of executives predict that entry-level knowledge worker jobs will no longer exist as AI creates an entirely new suite of roles for employees entering the workforce. On top of that, 56% say their own roles will be “completely” or “partially” replaced by AI.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemckendr ... 897d912dc2
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Powers

Post by Powers »

wjfox wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:54 am Image
I like how these wojak memes are templarized like rage comics.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

wjfox wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:54 am Image
What if we extend the meme down another row to see what happens in 2036?

"Robots took my welding job!"

"LMAO Something something."
Powers

Post by Powers »

2116:

"Remember when we used to breathe?"

"Yes."
raklian

Post by raklian »

Powers wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:40 pm 2116:

"Remember when we used to breathe?"

"Yes."
2176:

"Remember when you used to say you remember you used to breathe?"

"Did I? I don't remember. Let me check my Life Record."
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.