Post by weatheriscool »

weatheriscool

Re: Israel's conflict with its neighbours

Post by weatheriscool »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

weatheriscool wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:06 pm
There will definitely will be no two state solution whilst he and his government are in power.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/th ... r-BB1iyoBZ

NGL veto was overkill. Should've been abstain or even support.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Israel's PM Netanyahu lays out Gaza plan for after the war
3 hours ago

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has laid out his vision for a post-war Gaza.

Under his plan Israel would control security indefinitely, and Palestinians with no links to groups hostile to Israel would run the territory.

The US, Israel's major ally, wants the West Bank-based Palestinian Authority (PA) to govern Gaza after the war.

But the short document - which Mr Netanyahu presented to ministers last night - makes no mention of the PA.

He has previously ruled out a post-war role for the internationally backed body.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68379646
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

An Israeli and a Palestinian talk peace, dignity and safety

-H.G Wells.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

Time_Traveller wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:42 pm An Israeli and a Palestinian talk peace, dignity and safety

I've now overcome my reluctance to support a ceasefire in light of this. Besides, is stopping Hamas worth the lives of all the civilians in Gaza that have been killed?
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Taking Aaron Bushnell at His Word (and Deed)
by Lyle Jeremy Rubin
February 28, 2024

Introduction:
(The Nation) I will leave it to others to discuss the precedents for Aaron Bushnell’s self-immolation outside the Israeli embassy in Washington, from Thích Quảng Đức to Norman Morrison to Mohamed Bouazizi to Irina Slavina to Wynn Alan Bruce. Yes, this has happened before. The world has been a terrible place for too many for too long, and for that reason, the rare few most inclined to feel that terror, to breathe in its ashes, have found no other option but to set themselves on fire in protest. So that others may be forced to breathe in some of those ashes too.

A debate has erupted about how best to interpret Bushnell’s last act. Was it heroic? Pointless? Another opportunity to opine on the need for more robust mental health services. Or to scold those who have dared to take Bushnell at his word. After all, he was anything but inexplicit: “My name is Aaron Bushnell. I’m an active-duty member of the United States Air Force. And I will no longer be complicit in genocide. I’m about to engage in an extreme act of protest, but compared to what people have been experiencing in Palestine at the hands of their colonizers, it’s not extreme at all. This is what our ruling class has decided will be normal.”

When someone commits an act like this, and leaves us with words like that, I feel obligated to take the person at their word. And the words couldn’t be more instructive.

Bushnell begins with a pertinent self-identification, as an active-duty member of the United States Air Force. Given the sincerity of his last moment in uniform, it seems he was also announcing his vocation. He was someone who had signed up to sacrifice himself for the greater good, only to discover—as so many of us, myself included, have discovered—that he had signed up for the opposite: to become a willing accomplice to evil.
Read more at the link that follows. (The link may not work for those who are not subscribers to The Nation): https://www.thenation.com/article/soci ... rm=weekly
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill