Israel's conflict with its neighbours

Xyls

Re: Israel's conflict with its neighbours

Post by Xyls »

erowind wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:32 pm Where are the calls to sanction Israel for killing civilians en masse? There's no framing this as self-defense. You can't push people into a small strip of land and steal their homes at gunpoint for decades and then call it "self-defense" when they try to fight back.

-REMOVED- Israel left Gaza in 2005 and gave them the ability to vote for their own government for self-government as an opportunity to show the world that they could govern themselves. What did the Palestinians do in response? Elected a party who's platform is not just to eliminate Israel but to exterminate Jews all over the world. Now we are surprised this genocidal party is showing itself to be just like ISIS and we are wondering why support for Palestine is collapsing.

If that is what you are going to vote for than why wouldn't Israel put up border walls. They also clearly have been justified to do this blockade as Hamas is clearly more interested in bringing in weapons and using civilians as human shields than developing Gaza. Not only that but they also give warnings on these buildings before they blast them. Which is much more considerate than the orgy of death the ELECTED Hamas government engaged in against Israel on Saturday.

Palestinians have no one but themselves to blame.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

raklian wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:15 pm
wjfox wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:13 pm
Looks like Israel is going all-out. They don't care about the optics anymore.
Optics of what? They are hitting ammunition dumps...
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

wjfox wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:34 pm
weatheriscool wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:25 pm

Has this been independently verified? It's a colossal death toll if true. What the hell is Hamas' end-game? They seem like ISIS now.
They always were like ISIS. It is literally in the platform to kill Jews all around the world...
erowind

Post by erowind »

Xyls wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:00 pm
erowind wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:32 pm Where are the calls to sanction Israel for killing civilians en masse? There's no framing this as self-defense. You can't push people into a small strip of land and steal their homes at gunpoint for decades and then call it "self-defense" when they try to fight back.

-Removed-

Palestinians have no one but themselves to blame.
EDIT, no, You don't get to remove your insult and make my post look ruder than it should be. You said, "Shut up." It wasn't that bad tbh you aren't swearing at me or anything, but I'm quoting it from memory because I'm not removing my sarcastic "LOL, no."

LOL, no.

No reasonable person including myself is calling for the government in Gaza to control the geographic area we call "Israel." Whatever state comes next there should grant and protect equal rights for all its citizens both Jewish and Palestinian. Moreover the Palestinians specifically need to be payed reparations and assisted in finding equitable housing to ensure equality after generations of genocide.

You can't blame innocent people for turning to hatred and violence when they've been on the receiving end of a nearly century long genocide where they are kicked from their homes at gunpoint, killed indiscriminately, forced to live in smaller and smaller apartheid concentration settlements and their official government, The Israeli government so obviously wants them dead and has wanted them dead since the 1940s. Israel has consistently taken more land than treatise permitted, it has consistently violated the UN mandate, it has consistently carried forward colonial policies left behind for it by the British Empire. It denies the basic necessities of life to the people it forced into an overpopulated urban hellscape through the blockade.

I honestly think that if Israel invades the Gaza Strip again they'll just start killing everyone. There's nowhere for the civilians to go, they are surrounded on all sides and blockaded at sea.
Last edited by erowind on Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
erowind

Post by erowind »

I want to comment aswell. Jewish people and Jewish settlement in Palestine are not a problem. I posted that map because it was the easiest resource I could find. But Jewish settlers had initially purchased land legally in Palestine prior to WW1. After WW1 and during the British administration of Palestine the history gets more murky and the British government fails to manage the situation. I don't actually know at what point some Jewish settlers started using the state as a weapon to force Palestinians out of their homes but it didn't start that way. Peaceful settlement and integration was possible, it would be possible today too I think but obviously the Israeli State is incapable of handling any of this in a peaceful equitable way.
raklian

Post by raklian »

erowind wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:03 am
EDIT, no, You don't get to remove your insult and make my post look ruder than it should be. You said, "Shut up." It wasn't that bad tbh you aren't swearing at me or anything, but I'm quoting it from memory because I'm not removing my sarcastic "LOL, no."
For clarification, it was removed because it was against this forum's code of conduct. We do not tolerate that kind of language in here.

Everyone, let's get along. I understand we may be passionate about the positions we stand for but we can make our point without making it too personal.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

U.S. sends aircraft carrier group to eastern Mediterranean in response to Hamas attack on Israel

October 8, 2023 / 11:29 PM

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced Sunday that he has ordered American military ships, including an aircraft carrier and additional aircraft, to move closer to the eastern Mediterranean in response to Hamas' unprecedented, multi-front attack on Israel. Several U.S. citizens were among those killed in the attacks, a National Security Council spokesperson confirmed Sunday after Austin's announcement.

"Today, in response to this Hamas attack on Israel, and following detailed discussions with President Biden, I have directed several steps to strengthen Department of Defense posture in the region to bolster regional deterrence efforts," Austin said in a news release.

The USS Gerald R. Ford Carrier Strike Group includes the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier, which is the largest warship in the world, in addition to the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser USS Normandy and four Arleigh-Burke-class guided missile destroyers — USS Thomas Hudner, USS Ramage, USS Carney and USS Roosevelt.

The USS Gerald R. Ford was in the western Mediterranean when it received orders to deploy. Depending on its precise location, it could have to travel over a thousand miles.

Austin also announced steps to augment U.S. Air Force fighter aircraft squadrons in the region. USAF aircraft are going into bases in the Middle East where they will be available for operations against Iran.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hamas-atta ... terranean/
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Israel orders 'complete siege' of Gaza as rocket attacks continue

10:30

Israel's Defence Minister Yoav Gallant says he has ordered a "complete siege" on the Gaza Strip: "No electricity, no food, no fuel."

As a reminder - Israel controls the air space over Gaza and its shoreline, and restricts who and what goods are allowed in and out through its border crossings.

Similarly, Egypt controls who passes in and out of its border with Gaza.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-m ... t-67050350
raklian

Post by raklian »

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.