World War III speculation

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: World War III speculation

Post by wjfox »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

I think there have been some relatively responsible fictional movies with nuclear weapons and/or World War III as the theme. Dr. Strangelove, Fail Safe, On the Beach, Colossus - the Forbin Project, and even War Games were relatively responsible treatments of the theme. We do stand on the brink of trivializing the topic. This can be a matter of mere entertainment while disconnecting it from the immense human suffering that would be involved. As with a lot of things, the line between the two can be quite fuzzy.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
eacao

Post by eacao »

wjfox wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:43 pm

I'm not sure what this man's tirade against The Telegraph has to do with me, unless you assume that I have "masturbatory war fantasies" as this impressive character put it. International relations are obviously tense between overt adversaries, relative overmatch between the West and the East is clearly degraded, and the threat of a major war between large and industrialised alliances is clearly more real than at any point in the past 30 years.

It seemed obvious to me in 2013 that China and the U.S. were likely to end up at war. The last decade has not shaken my confidence in that prediction. From these three tweets, it looks to me like Edwin Hayward is unable to separate domestic party politics from foreign policy, or a person's 'wants' for the future from his 'thoughts'.
"You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future",
"Nearly all men can endure adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power",
"If you're going through Hell, keep going".
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

eacao wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:00 am
I'm not sure what this man's tirade against The Telegraph has to do with me, unless you assume that I have "masturbatory war fantasies" as this impressive character put it.
I wasn't replying to you.
eacao

Post by eacao »

wjfox wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:19 am
eacao wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:00 am
I'm not sure what this man's tirade against The Telegraph has to do with me, unless you assume that I have "masturbatory war fantasies" as this impressive character put it.
I wasn't replying to you.
Mistook a notification of your reply with a reply to me
"You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future",
"Nearly all men can endure adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power",
"If you're going through Hell, keep going".