Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Nanotechandmorefuture

Re: Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

weatheriscool wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:09 pm Meta Quest 3: What to Expect in 2023
https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/met ... t-in-2023/
This has been a big year for new VR headsets: the PlayStation VR 2 and Vive XR Elite are already here, and Apple's mixed reality headset should be announced in a matter of weeks. The biggest product of all of them, however, could be the Meta Quest 3.

Meta's sequel to the most popular VR headset in the world right now will be a 2023 product, and Meta's Mark Zuckerberg has already confirmed it will be priced similarly to the Quest 2. That should mean it'll be a far more affordable headset than what Apple is readying.
??? Kinda looks like the guy that was crying about Star Wars back in 2017 or so. Is that him?
Powers

Post by Powers »

Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:22 pm
weatheriscool wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:09 pm Meta Quest 3: What to Expect in 2023
This has been a big year for new VR headsets: the PlayStation VR 2 and Vive XR Elite are already here, and Apple's mixed reality headset should be announced in a matter of weeks. The biggest product of all of them, however, could be the Meta Quest 3.

Meta's sequel to the most popular VR headset in the world right now will be a 2023 product, and Meta's Mark Zuckerberg has already confirmed it will be priced similarly to the Quest 2. That should mean it'll be a far more affordable headset than what Apple is readying.
??? Kinda looks like the guy that was crying about Star Wars back in 2017 or so. Is that him?
This?

He reminds me more of 'white guy blinking'.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Powers wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:48 pm
Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:22 pm

This?

He reminds me more of 'white guy blinking'.
Yes that is the one. Ah man the dude is a real fan! :D Looks similar but not the same facially, thank you for the video!
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Apple unveils new products at WWDC 2023 event
https://www.cnn.com/tech/live-news/appl ... index.html
Vision Pro, Apple's new VR/AR headset, will work with a slate of apps that the company mentioned Monday.

A large number of iPad and iPhone apps will be available on Vision Pro at launch, Apple said. For example: Users could fire up Adobe Lightroom and edit photos using just their eyes and hands.

Apple's own Reality Composer Pro is a new app that makes it easy to assemble complex scenes with realistic objects.

Several popular apps and games from the platform Unity will gain full access to VisionOS features, as will productivity apps Microsoft Word, Excel and Teams along with Zoom and Webex by Cisco.

More apps will surely come, as developers can use tools like Swift UI, Reality Kit and others to build new apps for Vision Pro.
Vision Pro will cost $3,499 and debut in early 2024

From CNN's David Goldman

If you're interested in Apple's vision of the future, it'll set you back. A lot.

Apple's new Vision Pro AR/VR headset will cost $3,499. That's more than twice the cost of the most maxed-out iPhone 14 Pro. It even costs more than Apple's biggest MacBook Pro.

By contrast, its closest competitor, the Meta Quest Pro, costs $999.

Apple said the Vision Pro will go on sale early next year, after developers have time to build apps that work with the system
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

Tadasuke

Quest 2 and 3, XR2 Gen2, PSVR2, expectations, kids

Post by Tadasuke »

A 9 year old showed me games on Oculus Quest 2. They were awesome to him, but to me they were terrible. I thought "I would never buy this. This looks awful. I don't see the appeal.". It's astonishing how he doesn't care about stuff that bothers me.

He didn't have any expectations. He was like an empty book yet to be written. While I on the other hand, had a whole vision on VR and how it ought to evolve even before his birth. So I'm naturally disappointed, while he is not.

This speaks a lot about how much expectations play a role. It did not occur to me while I was thinking about the future, that these expectations would make me feel worse in the future. I wish I had no expectations, but it's too late for that.

In 2013 I thought "So Radeon 280X has 4 teraflops today, doubling every year means 4 petaflops in 2023 - that's what will be used for VR then.". Here we are in 2023 and Quest 3 has 2.5 teraflops (vs 1.25 in Quest 2), 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage at $499 MSRP without tax. In 2013 I thought that in 2023 a single virtual world would be taking terabytes of space. It all seemed so logical, I thought about it all a lot and even talked with others in real life. I tried Oculus DK1 very early.

To make you understand better: Quest 3 SoC (Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2) has Adreno 730 GPU and 51.2 GB/s memory bandwidth. For a comparison: that's how much Radeon X1900 XTX had in Q1 2006. But it was for the GPU only. Quest 3 has 51.2 GB/s for everything. It has to share 51.2 GB/s for every part of the SoC. PlayStation 4 had 8 GB GDDR5 176 GB/s in Q4 2013 and so it was and is faster than Quest 3, even when having less flops. And XR2 Gen 2 has a higher maximum power draw than XR2 Gen 1. So battery life won't improve. :(

I'm personally more interested in PSVR2 (especially in Gran Turismo 7) than in Quest 3. But that too is too expensive for what it offers and there is not a great selection of things to do. Metaverse is just science-fiction and Zuckerberg's dream with current technology.

For the foreseeable future, I'm going to keep playing normal, non-VR games on a normal screen. I like my PS1/N64 games in a small window, not PS1-like graphics stretched all over a large VR view (even though it still is kinda like looking trough binoculars). And $1000+ headsets will never become mainstream.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Apple probably won't sell many Vision Pro units due to its high price and limited capabilities. However, it will lay the groundwork for future generations of the goggles, which will cheaper, better, and more widely used.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-vi ... 46894.html