Re: Smartphones News and Discussions

Post by firestar464 »

no lol

I am not giving into the consumerism
Powers

Post by Powers »

weatheriscool wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:06 am
Just why? Aren't these cumbersome enough? If I wanted a big display I'd buy a tablet.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

A vote for Trump, a third party candidate, or no vote at all, is a vote for a dystopian future.
Tadasuke

Galaxy S6 - S24 performance comparison

Post by Tadasuke »

Quick comparison of highest performance in (frames per second) in the 4K Aztec Ruins High Tier Offscreen benchmark of Samsung Galaxy S flagship smartphones between 2015 and 2024:
  • Galaxy S6 - 1.4 fps
  • Galaxy S7 - 2.6 fps
  • Galaxy S8 - 4.2 fps
  • Galaxy S9 - 6.0 fps
  • Galaxy S10 - 7.6 fps
  • Galaxy S20 - 9.5 fps
  • Galaxy S21 - 8.6 fps
  • Galaxy S22 - 14.3 fps
  • Galaxy S23 - 24.1 fps
  • Galaxy S24 - 30.2 fps
30.2 fps divided by 1.4 fps equals 21.57, so there seems to be a significant improvement in that area over the last 9 years, but smaller than between 2006 and 2015.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

A vote for Trump, a third party candidate, or no vote at all, is a vote for a dystopian future.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Smartphones have had a similar user experience for many years now. It's basically a rectangular computer with a touchscreen, microphones, cameras and other sensors.

There is no large improvement in day-to-day user experience. Just advertisements pretending this or that.

Faster processing, slightly better cameras, maybe very slightly bigger screen. Boring!

I don't want to use such devices, even if they had 100 exaflops of processing speed. They don't feel futuristic at all to me, to be honest. Even 15 years ago I was already thinking about AR glasses and BCIs. I feel like we are stuck. And those "AIs" are still awfully stupid, and nearly everybody outside futurology/singularity circles thinks so too. Literally the only places I get downvoted for saying current AI is dumb and useless are futurism and singularity places. Everywhere else people agree.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Tadasuke wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:32 amAnd those "AIs" are still awfully stupid, and nearly everybody outside futurology/singularity circles thinks so too. Literally the only places I get downvoted for saying current AI is dumb and useless are futurism and singularity places. Everywhere else people agree.
There's a reason why contemporary AI is so stupid, and it's rather frustrating to see it in practice. The AIs aren't actually stupid; we're just using them stupidly.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:32 am Smartphones have had a similar user experience for many years now. It's basically a rectangular computer with a touchscreen, microphones, cameras and other sensors.

There is no large improvement in day-to-day user experience. Just advertisements pretending this or that.

Faster processing, slightly better cameras, maybe very slightly bigger screen. Boring!

I don't want to use such devices, even if they had 100 exaflops of processing speed. They don't feel futuristic at all to me, to be honest. Even 15 years ago I was already thinking about AR glasses and BCIs. I feel like we are stuck. And those "AIs" are still awfully stupid, and nearly everybody outside futurology/singularity circles thinks so too. Literally the only places I get downvoted for saying current AI is dumb and useless are futurism and singularity places. Everywhere else people agree.
They still feel quite futuristic to me. :) And the cameras are massively better now than 10-15 years ago, especially video quality.

Though I agree we need a new paradigm – some sort of wearable tech, non-invasive BCI, glasses, etc. would be cool.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

Tadasuke wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:32 am Smartphones have had a similar user experience for many years now. It's basically a rectangular computer with a touchscreen, microphones, cameras and other sensors.

The cameras are an improvement, but only because of planned obsolescence. They want you to buy slightly better stuff regularly.

Also, AI is "dumb" depending on how you use it. I've noticed that researchers and similar people know how to optimize them best for their needs, while average people aren't as good with that.

It's also worth noting that Sam himself has roasted GPT-4 as "dumb." I hope 4.5 will be released soon
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

I'm very interesting which software keyboard, voice recognition and AIs fellow futurology aficionados use on their Android phones.

I've never owned an Apple device by the way, so I don't know much about iPhones. I have a very modern Android smartphone with currently Android 14 OS, no smartwatch or smartband.

I tend to change keyboards, voice recognition providers and settings. I haven't settled yet on anything in particular. 🤔