Social Media & Big Tech news and discussions

caltrek

Re: Social Media & Big Tech news and discussions

Post by caltrek »

Tadasuke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:32 am
weatheriscool wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:32 pm
firestar464 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:29 pm Musk self-destruction speedrun

This is one of the worse things about trumpism as it poisons the mind of people and turns them into raging idiots. This is a massive lose for humanity as I consider Elon musk one of the greatest innovators of the 21st centuries. Think about what he could do if it wasn't for assholes like Trump! Possibly the only man that could get humans to mars before 2030! Possibly a far bigger afford to transitioning society over to electric cars, possibly minduploading and so much more.

This is so sick. :cry:
Humans almost never do things in an optimal way. Always far below the optimal, unfortunately. That's why it took us 300 000 years to get to this point, instead of let's say 50 000 or 100 000.
In addition to which Musk is following the Peter Principle. He has risen to his level of incompetence. How do I know?

Cuz I fought that principle much of my adult life. Like Musk my insights into the technicalities of the functioning of the local economy exceeded my emotional capacity to properly employ those insights. I was sometimes the youngest professional in the room who paradoxically had the most experience with the subject matter at hand. A definite source of problems to the extent to which I did not understand the human equation at work. Social media is something that definitely requires an understanding of how humans work together (or fail to work together as the case may be).
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

raklian

Post by raklian »

Already blocked Alex Jones' account.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

raklian wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:38 pm Already blocked Alex Jones' account.
I don't even need to block him as I don't have a ex-Twitter account anymore.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

Powers

Post by Powers »

Tadasuke

Is Musk going too far?

Post by Tadasuke »

I think you can go too far with everything, including freedom of speech.

Everything in excess leads to negative effects or even straight downfall.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

how it might really be with billionaires and their popular services

Post by Tadasuke »

This might be the truth about Musk and X, Zuckerberg and Meta and more of the awful rich guys.

Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Facebook, Twitter and MS Paint

Post by Tadasuke »

My personal experience with Facebook hasn't been great.

Not only has Facebook not implemented changes I've been waiting for over 10 years, but I have memories of "friends" regularly attacking me for my choices and me defending myself in comments on my own profile. Choices of photos, food, drinks, received Christmas presents, video games, anime, computer hardware, software settings & personalization, political opinions or opinions about progress. It was mostly a waste of time honestly. And those critical "friends" have gradually unfriended me over time, so none of them is left now. Today I would just block them, but then I was always getting defensive. It was so stupid and I was so stupid...

Twitter (X) implemented this year one change I've been waiting for - viewing media in a grid, rather than as posts each subsequent older one below the newer one. It makes browsing easier and faster, when there are a lot of media and often there are. So it's an improvement in my book.

I remember thinking back 20 years ago during MS Windows XP era, that MS Paint needs an easy way to resize its rectangular painting area to the currently set resolution, window size and monitor size (a very standard and baseline feature in my book). It was implemented this year in an Windows 11 update. And layers too. Took them a really long time.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Pure corporate greed.

-----

Amazon Prime Video will start showing ads on January 29th

Dec 26, 2023, 8:41 PM GMT

Earlier this year, Amazon announced plans to start incorporating ads into movies and TV shows streamed from its Prime Video service, and now the company has revealed a specific date when you’ll start seeing them: it’s January 29th. “This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time,” the company said in an email to customers about the pending shift to “limited advertisements.”

“We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than linear TV and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership,” the company wrote. Customers have the option of paying an additional $2.99 per month to keep avoiding advertisements.

The rest of the email summarizes the many benefits of a Prime subscription — no doubt an attempt to keep customers from canceling over this decision. Verge readers were none too pleased about the initial news back in September:

Read more: https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/26/240 ... january-29
A vote for Trump, a third party candidate, or no vote at all, is a vote for a dystopian future.