Social Media & Big Tech news and discussions

weatheriscool

Re: Social Media & Big Tech news and discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

Microsoft kicks Twitter in the teeth
Connie Loizos@cookie / 3:39 PM PDT•April 19, 2023

Microsoft is dropping Twitter from its advertising platform next week, nearly two months after Twitter announced that it will begin charging a minimum of $42,000 per month to users of its API, which include enterprises and research institutions.

Users began receiving emails about its new pricing details in early March, per a Wired report that observed at the time that the new pricing scheming “prices out nearly everyone.”

With its $2.15 trillion market cap and roughly $100 billion cash on hand at the end of last year, Microsoft obviously has the money to pay Twitter what it wants, so the move appears to be a bit of a statement, even as Microsoft is declining to elaborate further about its decision.
https://techcrunch.com/2023/04/19/micro ... the-teeth/
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Free-speech absolutist Musk bans Twitter-account for telling people to oppose new Twitter-feature.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/4 ... on-Twitter

A blue check-mark on Twitter used to mean that Twitter has verified your identity and you are indeed who you claim to be on Twitter.

Then Musk had the glorious idea to sell blue check-marks without verification, meaning the real people/corporations and impostors now both have the same check-mark.

Then, on 4/20/2023, because Musk is a reasonable, mature adult, Musk decided to do away with verifications. From now on, only paying customers have blue check-marks.

OK. FINE. WHATEVER.

Then some users decided that a good way to punish Twitter for this new policy they don't like, would be to simply block everyone and anyone with a blue check-mark. Because only toxic Musk-fans, Neonazis and crypto-scammers pay for a blue check-mark.

Twitter was NOT happy with users exercising their right to use Twitter's options as they see fit. First, Twitter blocked the account "@BlockTheBlue" for rule-violations, although they couldn't tell which rules exactly he broke.

Then Twitter forced blue check-marks on the accounts of people pushing this BlockTheBlue-trend, in the hopes of getting them blocked by their own followers.
Powers

Post by Powers »

So we passed from:

To:
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:42 am
Agreed, wouldn't we all be better by deleting all of our social media accounts. My friend has never even used social media as he thinks that time should be spend doing other things and he is part of the Millennial generation like me.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Agreed, wouldn't we all be better by deleting all of our social media accounts. My friend has never even used social media as he thinks that time should be spend doing other things and he is part of the Millennial generation like me.
I am not sure about "deleting all of our social media accounts." I do agree with spending less time on social media and developing social skills in the "real world." This was particularly brought home to me when I briefly lived in Virginia. I remember driving by a street corner near a train station. I guess people were waiting for some sort of ride, having just finished their train trip. There were about twelve young adults in this group. The attention of every one of them was in looking at their cell phones. Not one was talking to the person standing next to them.

In the apartment complex in which I lived in Virginia, it was very exceptional to come upon a young person who was actually willing to talk to my wife or myself. I don't think it was out of any felt hostility to us. Rather, it seemed to be from a place of being shy. Of simply not knowing how to go about making conversation. Part of that may have been the conservative nature of the area. Dominated by politically conservative people, there was a sprinkling of liberals. So there was a danger triggering great resentment or anger in speaking with an older adult. In such circumstances, staying silent was not such a bad strategy. Still, there are ways of carrying on conversations that are relatively neutral.

My wife has some very conservative friends. I can converse with them for hours at a time without our discussion degenerating into a hostile argument. Sometimes, it is a matter of talking in a neutral manner, and sometimes it is just a matter of agreeing to disagree and moving on to another topic. It is a learned skill.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

New York's subway will no longer post alerts on Twitter after Elon Musk demanded $50,000 per month
New York City’s mass-transit system is ending its real-time service alerts on Twitter for subway, train and bus riders as the Metropolitan Transportation Authority curbs its relationship with the platform owned by Elon Musk.

Twitter had asked the MTA to pay $50,000 a month to continue accessing the platform’s application programming interface, or API, an infrastructure tool that allows for multiple computer programs to work together, according to an MTA official. Twitter didn’t specifically respond to an emailed request for comment.

“I don’t think it would be the best use of resources, especially when we have these other features and functions that are internal and homegrown and that are reliable that we want our customers to use,” Shanifah Rieara, MTA’s acting chief customer officer and senior advisor, said in a telephone interview. “We want to communicate with our customers through all platforms, but we need a platform that is reliant and consistent and up to date.”
https://fortune.com/2023/04/27/new-york ... elon-musk/
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Twitter to allow publishers to charge users on a per article basis starting May
April 29, 20236:28 PM GMT+1

April 29 (Reuters) - Twitter Inc CEO Elon Musk said on Saturday that the social media platform will allow media publishers to charge users on a per article basis with one click, calling it a win for both the public and media organizations.

The feature, to be rolled out in May, will enable users who do not "sign up for a monthly subscription to pay a higher per article price for when they want to read an occasional article," billionaire owner Musk tweeted.

On Friday, Musk had said that Twitter will take a 10% cut on content subscriptions after the first year, noting that the company will not take a cut for the first 12 months. These subscriptions include long-form text and hours-long video.

Since taking over the social media firm in October, Musk has swiftly moved through a number of product and organizational changes. The company rolled out Twitter-verified blue tick as a paid service and shrunk the employee base by about 80%.

Musk has been bringing in changes to boost revenue at Twitter after the social media platform saw advertising income drop last year in the run-up to his on-again-off-again acquisition that closed.
https://www.reuters.com/business/media- ... 023-04-29/

Do birdy members still want to stay there?
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.