Re: Russia Watch Thread

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

^^^Just finished viewing another news channel in which it was pointed out that sanctions have been shown to be largely ineffective in influencing the policy of foreign governments. Partly, it is because they are often levied against countries that suffered from a modern form of imperialism. I would argue that sanctions thus actually encourage countries to break free from that yolk.

What I came here to post:

Where Does the Fight for a Free Russia Go Now?
by Ellen Ioanes
February , 2024

Introduction:
(Vox) Russian dissident Alexei Navalny’s widow, Yulia Navalnaya, announced Monday that she would take up her husband’s crusade against President Vladimir Putin following his death while in prison.

“I have no right to give up,” Navalnaya said in a video address Monday. “I will continue the work of Alexei Navalny. I will continue to fight for our country, and I urge you to stand next to me.”

Navalny campaigned against the Kremlin for more than a decade following widespread anger over Putin’s 2011 move to retake power. He was Putin’s most internationally known critic, and was the most recognizable to Russians, too, despite Putin’s refusal to say his name. In what amounts to an opposition in Russia, Navalny was essentially the only figure with broad name recognition.

Now, Navalnaya will take up that mantle, but it’s not clear how far the Navalnys’ fight for a free Russia can go under such brutal repression — and with its most charismatic leaders either dead or in exile.

Who is Yulia Navalnaya?

Because of her husband’s work, Navalnaya has been in the public eye for over a decade — not exactly as a political wife or first lady figure, but more as a quiet, stoic partner, although she was a critical part of Alexey’s political activism as his closest adviser. That was intentional on her part; she supported her husband’s activism but wanted to make sure their children were well-adjusted.

Read more here: https://www.vox.com/24078537/yulia-nav ... i-navanly

caltrek's comment: Part of me thinks allowing Navalny to die means that he is now a martyr and as a martyr is a far more effective threat to Putin's dictatorial ways. Just look at the attention his widow is now receiving. Another part thinks that I am being highly Polly-Annish in that regard. As the article points out, she no longer even resides in Russia.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

Participating in sham elections and protesting won't do much.

Burmese people learned that in 2021. And now change of strategy.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

firestar464 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:03 pm Participating in sham elections and protesting won't do much.

Burmese people learned that in 2021. And now change of strategy.
One problem that arises in all too many of these cases is that resorting to more violent methods pretty much paves the way for successor leaders to emerge that in turn become as authoritarian as the governments they displace. One of the great accomplishments of the U.S. revolution was to avoid that trap. This was in no small part because of how government had already come to be operating at the local level. It was more a matter of establishing a federation of state governments while making sure that the central government thus formed stayed within certain bounds. These state governments had already been functioning as colonies that were in some ways remarkably free of excessive central government interference. At least until the British crown pressed the matter.

The sad thing about today's MAGA Republicans is how willing they are to throw away the accomplishments of the revolution for no good reason. Not to mention the democratic form of government that was successfully defended in World War II. "States rights" is now largely a code word for returning to the good old days of legalized apartheid and draconian restrictions on abortions. Insanely anarchistic lack of gun control is also a part of their agenda, although the possibility of a strongman dictator succeeding Trump who would rob them of those rights is not recognized. The rest is all for the sake of satisfying Trump's ego and participating in his cult. Truly sad.

At any rate, one wonders if Russia has had sufficient experience with relative freedom to be able to return to democratic governance. For that reason, violence as a solution is also highly problematic. Still, I do find myself growing more hawkish on such issues after witnessing the extremes to which Putin, China, etc. are willing to go. Especially, regarding the Ukraine, parts of eastern Europe, and Taiwan where the appetite for democracy seems to have grown.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Alexei Navalny: Putin critic's mother 'given hours to agree secret burial'
53 minutes ago

Alexei Navalny's mother has been told to agree to a "secret" burial for the Putin critic within three hours, Mr Navalny's spokeswoman says.

Otherwise, she was told, he would be buried at the Arctic Circle penal colony where he died a week ago.

Mr Navalny's mother has said she has been forced to sign a death certificate saying he died of natural causes.

But Mr Navalny's widow, Yulia, has said he was killed on the orders of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The Kremlin has denied the allegations, calling Western reaction to the death "hysterical".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68384402
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Does Russia Stand to Benefit from Climate Change?
February 21, 2024

Introduction:
(Eurekalert) “There’s a narrative out there about climate change that says there are winners and losers. Even if most of the planet might lose from the changing climate, certain industries and countries stand to benefit. And Russia is usually at the tip of people’s tongues, with Russian officials even making the claim that Russia is a potential winner.”
Further extract:
“We asked ourselves,” Javeline said of her research team, “does Russia stand to benefit from climate change? Are the claims made by the Russian government officials accurate in that it does benefit them?”

Environmental impacts already occurring in Russia include flooding, heat waves, drought and wildfires that affect not only communities, but agriculture, forestry and water resources as well. “Russia is one of the world’s most important producers and exporters of grains,” said Wengle, an expert on Russian agriculture. “What this means is that the effects of climate change on Russian farms are a concern not only for Russians, but for everyone concerned with global markets for commodity crops and global food security.”

Global warming has had a huge influence on Russia’s permafrost, which is now thawing at alarming rates. What was once considered permanently frozen, stable ground is now defrosting, shifting and causing tremendous damage. The study pointed to increased flooding, landslides, caving or sinking of ground that supports existing infrastructures — resulting in cracked foundations and compromised shelters.

“Some Russian cities in high-latitude regions report infrastructure damage from thawing permafrost and soil instability for up to 80 percent of buildings and for pipelines,” the researchers discovered.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/1035217
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Crowd chants anti-Putin slogans as thousands gather for Alexei Navalny’s funeral
10 hours ago

Thousands of people gathered in Moscow on Friday to pay tribute to Alexei Navalny during his funeral, defying a heavy police presence and warnings from the Kremlin of arrests.

Navalny, 47, was Vladimir Putin’s chief opponent and was pronounced dead on 16 February at the Arctic prison where he was serving a decades-long prison sentence on what many believe were trumped-up charges.

Western leaders have lined up to lay responsibility for Navalny's death. His wife, Yulia, has directly called out the Russian leader for killing him.

Outside the Soothe My Sorrows church in southeast Moscow, people began to gather hours before the funeral. Among the large crowd, many clutched bunches of flowers and some joined in a series of chants: “Russia will be free”, “No to war”, “Russia without Putin”, “We won’t forgive” and “Putin is a murderer”.

“There are more than 10,000 people here, and no one is afraid,” Kamila, a young woman in the crowd said. “We came here in order to honour the memory of a man who also wasn’t afraid, who wasn’t afraid of anything.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 05614.html
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »