Cancer News and Discussions

caltrek

Re: Cancer News and Discussions

Post by caltrek »

Vitamin D Alters Mouse Gut Bacteria to Give Better Cancer Immunity
April 25, 2024

Introduction:
(Eurekalert) Researchers at the Francis Crick Institute, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) of the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Aalborg University in Denmark, have found that vitamin D encourages the growth of a type of gut bacteria in mice which improves immunity to cancer.

Reported today in Science, the researchers found that mice given a diet rich in vitamin D had better immune resistance to experimentally transplanted cancers and improved responses to immunotherapy treatment. This effect was also seen when gene editing was used to remove a protein that binds to vitamin D in the blood and keeps it away from tissues.

Surprisingly, the team found that vitamin D acts on epithelial cells in the intestine, which in turn increase the amount of a bacteria called Bacteroides fragilis. This microbe gave mice better immunity to cancer as the transplanted tumours didn’t grow as much, but the researchers are not yet sure how.

To test if the bacteria alone could give better cancer immunity, mice on a normal diet were given Bacteroides fragilis. These mice were also better able to resist tumour growth but not when the mice were placed on a vitamin D-deficient diet.

Previous studies have proposed a link between vitamin D deficiency and cancer risk in humans, although the evidence hasn’t been conclusive.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/1042147
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Regulating Cholesterol Levels Might be the Key to Improving Cancer Treatment
April 30, 2024

Introduction:
(Eurekalert) A team of researchers from Aarhus University has made a remarkable discovery that could improve cancer treatment and the treatment of a number of other illnesses.

The key lies in regulating cholesterol levels, which can help make existing treatments more effective.

"We’ve identified a new mechanism that can regulate a crucial immune pathway in the fight against cancer, and this gives us a deeper understanding of how we can activate the body's own defence against the disease," explains Professor Martin Roelsgaard Jakobsen from the Department of Biomedicine and one of the last three authors of the study.

Special focus on an essential protein

The researchers have focused on the so-called STING protein, an important element of the immune system's defence against cancer cells.

By manipulating cholesterol levels, the researchers were able to improve the function of the STING protein, thereby opening up new ways of bolstering the body's natural defences against cancer.
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/1042990
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Pan-cancer analysis uncovers a new class of promising CAR T–cell immunotherapy targets
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2024-05- ... class.html
by St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Targeting anti-cancer therapy to affect cancer cells but not healthy cells is challenging. For chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T–cell immunotherapy, where a patient's own immune cells are re-engineered to attack cancer cells, many solid and brain cancers lack an effective target.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital scientists have identified 156 potential targets through a comprehensive analysis paired with an experimental validation in vivo. The findings were published today in Nature Communications.

"We discovered targets for cancer immunotherapy, which hopefully can be translated in the future into curative approaches," said co-corresponding author Stephen Gottschalk, MD, St. Jude Department of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Cellular Therapy chair.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Congress voted against funding a cure for cancer just to block a win for Biden

Some Republicans, refusing to give President Joe Biden a 'win,' voted against the renewal of funding for cancer research. Vote for those who do not politicize Americans' health.

Dr. Thomas K. Lew | Opinion contributor

I’m afraid I have some bad news.

As a hospital doctor, I’ve gotten pretty good at delivering bad news. Still, it never gets any easier. It certainly was not easy the day I told my 53-year-old patient, a devoted father of two, that his stomach pains were not from gallstones as everyone had assumed. Whenever a doctor says “bad news,” our minds often jump to that terrible “C”-word we fear: cancer. Unfortunately for my patient, I diagnosed him with a deadly form of cancer: cholangiocarcinoma. Over the next year, I would watch him deteriorate as he was readmitted with complication after complication.

Cancer affects everyone in some way, shape or form. Whether personally or through a family member or friend, the stress and heartbreak of a cancer diagnosis is immeasurable. Which is why I was so surprised when I read that Congress would not be renewing investments in the “Cancer Moonshot” initiative dedicated to curing cancer.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/v ... 525016007/
A vote for Trump, a third party candidate, or no vote at all, is a vote for a dystopian future.