Aging & Longevity News and Discussions

raklian

Re: Aging & Longevity News and Discussions

Post by raklian »

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

Man the dude himself noticed us
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke

U.S. teens smoked 16x less daily cigarettes in 2021 than in 1991

Post by Tadasuke »

Researchers tracked data on students in grades 9 through 12 from 1991 through to 2021. They report a 16-fold decline in daily cigarette use (16.33x to be exact) — from 9.8% of teens saying they smoked daily in 1991 to 0.6% by 2021. 🙂

"Occasional" (at least 1 cigarette over the past month) smoking dropped from 27% of teens to 3.8% by 2021, a sevenfold decline (7.1x to be exact). That's a very significant drop in 30 years, but the question is, whether they replaced smoking with vaping and what will be long term effect of vaping. There are now significantly more vape stores than there were in 2014.

Even though reductions in smoking among young people is certainly a welcome news, it may take time to show up in improved life spans. For lung and other cancers, reductions do not even begin to emerge for years after quitting, and even after 10 years, remain midway between the continuing smoker and lifelong nonsmoker. 😕

source article: https://www.healthday.com/health-news/c ... ly-smokers
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
raklian

Post by raklian »

Pretty interesting.

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Diet Control of Isoleucine Increases Healthspan and Lifespan By Up to 33% in Mice

March 23, 2024 by Brian Wang
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2024/03/d ... -mice.html
Low-protein diets promote health and longevity in diverse species. Restriction of the branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) leucine, isoleucine, and valine recapitulates many of these benefits in young C57BL/6J mice. Restriction of dietary isoleucine (IleR) is sufficient to promote metabolic health and is required for many benefits of a low-protein diet in C57BL/6J males. Here, we test the hypothesis that IleR will promote healthy aging in genetically heterogeneous adult UM-HET3 mice. We find that IleR improves metabolic health in young and old HET3 mice, promoting leanness and glycemic control in both sexes, and reprograms hepatic metabolism in a sex-specific manner. IleR reduces frailty and extends the lifespan of male and female mice, but to a greater degree in males. Our results demonstrate that IleR increases healthspan and longevity in genetically diverse mice and suggests that IleR, or pharmaceuticals that mimic this effect, may have potential as a geroprotective intervention.

• Isoleucine restriction (IleR) improves metabolic health in both sexes
• IleR reprograms hepatic metabolism in a sex- and age-dependent manner
• IleR reduces frailty and increases lifespan, with stronger effects on male lifespan
• Amino acid restriction begun at 6 months extends healthspan but not lifespan
raklian

Post by raklian »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I hope he is right.

But at the same time, I will be devastated to lose my parents (both aged 75).

Tadasuke

radical life extension is very much possible

Post by Tadasuke »

I've been believing in LEV since the year 2000, I came up with this concept independently, then heard about it in TV and then read about it, what made me feel validated in some way. Other people however have been ridiculing me simply for rarely mentioning the possibility of radical life extension (not everyone though, some people like it). It has affected me. I used to think, that ordinary people would be much more open to radical longevity and transhumanism, as for me, these were the obvious choices for all humanity. Seems like people are gradually, slowly opening up to this though. I've been persuading some people to donate to the Methuselah Foundation and to the SENS Foundation with unfortunately no avail.

Trendlines made by large institutions are often wrong. For example, trendlines for photovoltaics or electric mobility. I saw "official" trendlines for PVs, EVs and orbital rocket launches putting current prices or prevalence 30 extra years into the future. Truly pessimistic. I also know that some people in the West think that life expectancy for example in India is 20 years lower than it really is. Or that life expectancy in my country is 8 years lower than it really is. Or that only 50% of people in the world have access to electricity, when in reality it's 90% (maybe possibly even 91% in 2024). Tony Seba's predictions are closer to reality than the pessimists predictions.

People are almost always wrong about the future. Very rarely there is an accurate prediction.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
erowind

Post by erowind »

I really hope we live to see LEV and that it comes soon enough for our parents even. Spiritually I have come to terms with death to an extent, but that doesn't mean it has to happen now when it could happen in a million years instead. The result is still the same and there'd be nothing wrong with that.

But it feels so profoundly wrong for someone to die when they themselves don't want to die. My cat passed over the winter and something I'll never forget is how much she didn't want to die. She would try to eat and drink and her body wouldn't let her. We did help her pass on once she couldn't walk for nearly a day, she was almost 21. But her desire was so clearly strong, she would struggle to move and all she wanted was to keep being with us and look at us even in her final moments. It really broke my heart, I love her so much.

She deserved life, and she wanted more life to share and the circumstances of the universe took her life from her. Her death wasn't some stoic resignation, it was a struggle to keep going until the very end, something I don't even know I'd be capable of.