Human brain cells in a dish learn to play Pong faster than an AI

Yuli Ban

Human brain cells in a dish learn to play Pong faster than an AI

Post by Yuli Ban »

Living brain cells in a dish can learn to play the video game Pong when they are placed in what researchers describe as a “virtual game world”. “We think it’s fair to call them cyborg brains,” says Brett Kagan, chief scientific officer of Cortical Labs, who leads the research.

Many teams around the world have been studying networks of neurons in dishes, often growing them into brain-like organoids. But this is the first time that mini-brains have been found to perform goal-directed tasks, says Kagan.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Ozzie guy

Re: Human brain cells in a dish learn to play Pong faster than an AI

Post by Ozzie guy »

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:46 am
Living brain cells in a dish can learn to play the video game Pong when they are placed in what researchers describe as a “virtual game world”. “We think it’s fair to call them cyborg brains,” says Brett Kagan, chief scientific officer of Cortical Labs, who leads the research.

Many teams around the world have been studying networks of neurons in dishes, often growing them into brain-like organoids. But this is the first time that mini-brains have been found to perform goal-directed tasks, says Kagan.
This is unlikely but part of me feels like we will eventually find out the brain cells were experiencing emotions like sadness and anger when missing the pong ball leading to this type of research being unethical.
bretbernhoft

Post by bretbernhoft »

I find this to be rather interesting. How biological matter was more efficient than digital matter, at solving a (relatively) complex challenge through adaptation and learning. Thank you for sharing the link.
I am a JavaScript Developer, who loves learning; especially when solving challenges as part of making unique applications for Internet users throughout the global Web. I began my journey in technology with WordPress and Web Analytics. More recently I've been working with React, TypeScript, Tailwind CSS, JavaScript, Vite, Node, Git, Netlify, Quickbase and RESTful JSON APIs.
Hournmentent

Post by Hournmentent »

Many teams around the world have been studying networks of neurons in dishes, often growing them into brain-like organoids. It can help with robots in areas like nursing since there is a shortage of staff, there are essays about this that you can get the facts about in more detail. But this is the first time that mini-brains have been found to perform goal-directed tasks, says Kagan.
This news looks very promising to me.