OpenAI News & Discussions

Cyber_Rebel

Re: OpenAI News & Discussions

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Larry Summers just as a foreground has worked with two POTUS administrations as both Secretary of the Treasury and as director of the National Economic Council, actually might've been a very good pick for OAI going forwards. Especially with regard to restoring the company's credibility. He's also pretty knowledgeable about AI's impact on the economy, saying this in 2017:

Larry Summers: The robots are coming, whether Trump’s Treasury secretary admits it or not

(WashingtonPost)
As I learned (sometimes painfully) during my time at the Treasury Department, words spoken by Treasury secretaries can over time have enormous consequences, and therefore should be carefully considered. In this regard, I am very surprised by two comments made by Secretary Steven Mnuchin in his first public interview last week.

In reference to a question about artificial intelligence displacing American workers, Mnuchin responded that "I think that is so far in the future — in terms of artificial intelligence taking over American jobs — I think we're, like, so far away from that [50 to 100 years], that it is not even on my radar screen.” He also remarked that he did not understand tech company valuations in a way that implied that he regarded them as excessive. I suppose there is a certain internal logic. If you think AI is not going to have any meaningful economic effects for a half a century, then I guess you should think that tech companies are overvalued. But neither statement is defensible.

Mnuchin’s comment about the lack of impact of technology on jobs is to economics approximately what global climate change denial is to atmospheric science or what creationism is to biology. Yes, you can debate whether technological change is in net good. I certainly believe it is. And you can debate what the job creation effects will be relative to the job destruction effects. I think this is much less clear, given the downward trends in adult employment, especially for men over the past generation.

But I do not understand how anyone could reach the conclusion that all the action with technology is half a century away. Artificial intelligence is behind autonomous vehicles that will affect millions of jobs driving and dealing with cars within the next 15 years, even on conservative projections. Artificial intelligence is transforming everything from retailing to banking to the provision of medical care. Almost every economist who has studied the question believes that technology has had a greater impact on the wage structure and on employment than international trade and certainly a far greater impact than whatever increment to trade is the result of much debated trade agreements.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This gives me the impression that whatever is coming next from OAI will have a major impact on the job market, and very soon at that.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I am starting to buy the AGI was created theory.

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

What if they reinstated Sam after they figured out a way to align the model, in other words, keep it safe?
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

firestar464 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:14 am What if they reinstated Sam after they figured out a way to align the model, in other words, keep it safe?
Nah, this is why they attempted to merge with Anthropic. Likely why Ilya was initially against Sam too, if he felt like something was moving too quickly with this breakthrough, but maybe he was convinced their alignment strategies as of current are sufficient?

Would previous alignment strategies even matter if this is the genuine article?
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/22/239 ... sed-a-stir
A recent OpenAI breakthrough on the path to AGI has caused a stir.

Reports from Reuters and The Information Wednesday night detail an OpenAI model called Q* (pronounced Q Star) that was recently demonstrated internally and is capable of solving simple math problems. Doing grade school math may not seem impressive, but the reports note that, according to the researchers involved, it could be a step toward creating artificial general intelligence (AGI).

After the publishing of the Reuters report, which said senior exec Mira Murati told employees the letter “precipitated the board’s actions” to fire Sam Altman last week, OpenAI spokesperson Lindsey Held Bolton refuted that notion in a statement shared with The Verge: “Mira told employees what the media reports were about but she did not comment on the accuracy of the information.”

Separately, a person familiar with the matter told The Verge that the board never received a letter about such a breakthrough and that the company’s research progress didn’t play a role in Altman’s sudden firing.

The drama continues!
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

TLDR the breakthrough is that it can think. We live in interesting times.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »