7th September 2016
Technology vs. Humanity: The coming clash between man and machine
In his latest book, Technology vs. Humanity, futurist Gerd Leonhard asks the question: "How can society stay in control as machines enter deeper into our lives, our bodies, and eventually our brains?"
Fast Future Publishing has announced the launch of a groundbreaking new book by futurist and humanist Gerd Leonhard. This will explore the critical challenges and choices we face in balancing mankind's urge to upgrade and automate everything (including human biology itself) with our quest for freedom and happiness.
Technology vs. Humanity is the second in the company's "FutureScapes" series of books, looking at the core issues and ideas shaping mankind's future. The book is available at fastfuturepublishing.com and there is a 20% pre-launch discount for purchases made before the September 8th launch date.
The ever-accelerating pace of technology has driven a migration from the mainframe to the desktop, to the laptop, to the smartphone, to wearables and soon to brain-computer interfaces. As we blur the distinction between human and machine with implants and ingestible inserts, Gerd Leonhard makes a last-minute clarion call for an honest debate and a more philosophical exchange on what society needs and wants, and how best to steer the relentless pace of innovation.
Leonhard argues that, "Before it's too late, we must stop and ask the big questions: How do we embrace technology without becoming it? How do we ensure all technological progress is geared towards the service of humanity? When it happens—gradually, then suddenly—the machine era will create the greatest watershed in human life on Earth, and we as humans have to be in control of it."
Leonhard puts a spotlight on key issues and developments that will shape our future world:
• What are the technological "megashifts" that will transform life, work, business, the economy, and government?
• Are we approaching the end of work-as-we-know-it?
• Will scientific advances enable the next generation to live for centuries?
• Why don't Big Data, the Internet of Things, and Artificial Intelligence have the same kind of global governance policies and standards that we've demanded and imposed on previous technological revolutions, such as nuclear power?
• How can we address the urgent need for "digital ethics" before Silicon Valley assumes control of the species previously known as Homo sapiens?
If we are, indeed, the last fully "human-only" generation in history, shouldn't 2016 see the beginning of a conversation about where all this is leading? Gerd asks: What moral values are we prepared to stand up for – before being "human" alters its meaning forever?
Technology vs. Humanity by Gerd Leonhard is published 8th September by Fast Future Publishing.
• Follow us on Twitter
• Follow us on Facebook